- Hot water must be available at a constant minimum temperature of 120 degrees.
Between October 1 and May 31 ("Heat Season")
- Between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit; and,
- Between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, the inside temperature is required to be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit
If you would like to purchase a sensor, please fill out our request form. We will be releasing sensors throughout the fall 2017, and will alert you when sensors become available to the general public. Heat Seek also reserves a limited quantity of sensors to provide (free of charge) to tenants referred to us by local housing advocacy groups. If you qualify for free legal services in NYC, you may be eligible for a free sensor. Please use the tools below to contact your local housing advocacy group for assistance.
These organizations help tenants who aren't getting adequate heat.
- CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Carroll Gardens Association
- Chhaya Community Development Corporation
- Community Action for Safe Apartments (CASA)
- NYC Community Boards (List of community boards for all five boroughs)
- Community Voices Heard
- Fifth Avenue Committee
- Good Old Lower East Side
- Harlem Housing Development Unit (HDU) (Harlem Community Law Office of The Legal Aid Society)
- Mirabal Sisters Cultural & Community Center
- Metropolitan Council on Housing
- Mothers on the Move
- Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition
- Pratt Area Community Council
- The Legal Aid Society (List of citywide locations)
- Urban Justice Center Community Development Project