- Hot water must be available at a constant minimum temperature of 120 degrees.
Between October 1 and May 31 ("Heat Season")
- Between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit; and,
- Between the hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM, if the temperature outside falls below 40 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you need a sensor, fill out our request form. We will alert you when sensors become available to the general public. Due to high demand and our limited capacity, all current sensors are reserved for advocacy organizations we have partnered with as part of our winter 2016-17 program. We recommend that you use the tools below to reach out to local advocacy groups in your area for assistance.
These organizations help tenants who aren't getting adequate heat.
- CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Carroll Gardens Association
- Chhaya Community Development Corporation
- Community Action for Safe Apartments (CASA)
- NYC Community Boards (List of community boards for all five boroughs)
- Community Voices Heard
- Fifth Avenue Committee
- Good Old Lower East Side
- Harlem Housing Development Unit (HDU) (Harlem Community Law Office of The Legal Aid Society)
- Mirabal Sisters Cultural & Community Center
- Metropolitan Council on Housing
- Mothers on the Move
- Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition
- Pratt Area Community Council
- The Legal Aid Society (List of citywide locations)
- Urban Justice Center Community Development Project